For Episode 9, Michael, our host, guide and favourite dirty sea shanty, finds himself cast adrift, many nautical miles away from The City. A motley band of sailors – who just-so-happen to be avid fans of The Extra Extra Radio Show – come to the rescue. Onboard their boat, The Neptune’s Throuple, we become acquainted with the crew’s taste for frothy cappuccinos, camembert crostini, seafaring in the nude and less than conventional fishing methods. Fiasco, the ship’s artist-in-residence, showcases his salty masterpieces, including a framed love stain on a trawlerman’s bedsheet. And, in the depths below, amorous humpback whales exchange in lovesong; elaborate fantasies involving barnacles, sexed-up phytoplankton and the word “rummage.” Up on deck, a pair of foul-mouthed seagulls deliver hilarious quips about human reproductive organs. Surrounded by this oceanic entourage, Michael wonders, what kind of welcome awaits him back home?
The show is written and performed by Dan Fox and Michael Portnoy in close collaboration with Loes Verstappen who selected the music, and Monte Masi. Voice acting by Dan Fox, Michael Portnoy, Monte Masi, Johnny Vivash, Joan Juliet Buck and Loveday Smith. Drawings by Fiona Lutjenhuis.
- 01 Atlantic Pacific - Kristof Hahn
- 02 Tiki Modern - Part One - Surf Side - Mike Cooper
- 03 The Equestrian Vortex - Broadcast
- 04 Lilith - Singing in the Dark - Bruno Spoerri
- 05 Broccoli - Coil
- 06 Univers Parallèles #1 - Judith Wegmann and Bruno Duplant
- 07 This Bed of Shattered Bone - Colin Stetson
- 08 Liquid Energy (Rhythm Only) - Don Harper, Li de la Russe and Nikki St. George
- 09 Les Cheveux du Vent - Nino Nardini
- 10 Fluide et Sonique - Michel Redolfi
- 11 Solo Whale - Sounds of the Humpback Whale
- 12 My Game of Loving - White Noise
- 13 Old Time Religion - Roberto Musci and Giovanni Venosta
- 14 Kaneda - Geinoh Yamashirogumi